Learn how to make chicken Hyderabadi Dum biryani with step by step photos.Chicken biryani is a yummy and tasty recipe from the mughals.chicken biryani is a mixed rice chicken dish and taste way far beter than other chicken rice recipes. for making chicken biryani restaurant style we need chicken,quality basmati rice and lots of whole spices for the marination of chicken biryani.
You might be aware of eating Dum biryani at restaurants but you might have not seen how they make hyderabadi Dum chicken biryani at restaurants.today am going to teach you how to make perfect hyderabadi restaurant style chicken biryani recipe.
Now a Days , In Restaurants at hyderabad they are no more adding the whole spices while making biryani because the trend has come when you eat biryani you don’t want to whole spices to come in the mouth .You know why they are doing these ,to cut the cost as powdering the whole spices gives you 4 times flavour . even 1/4th of it can give you enough flavour.they are making easy chicken biryani recipe.
Whenever I had time,i always love to make biryani because nobody hates a biryani,everyone loves chicken biryani.So Today, am gonna teach you how to cook Restaurant Style Hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe.
Step by step photos on how to make hyderabadi Dum chicken biryani recipe
1. Powdered the whole spices for the marination of Chicken i.e 2 small strands of mace , 1 large or 2 small black cardamom , 4 green cardamom, 3 cinnamon stick ,6 cloves ,1 large or 2 small bay leaf , ½ tsp pepper corn , ½ tsp shahi jeera / caraway seeds ,Biryani fool/licham.
3. Add the raw spices in the chicken and the chicken should be large sized bigger than normal chicken curry pieces. In the Restaurants, They serve the Whole chicken legs or breasts in the chicken biryani recipe.Do not cut them in very small pieces.
4. Add the Powder Ingeridents i.e Chilli Powder,Coriander powder,Cumin Powder, Turmeric (very little), Ginger Garlic paste,Curd and also add Chopped green chillis,mint leaves and coriander leaves. If you want you can blend these also and Add to the mixture.
5. Add lime juice and salt to taste.For 1 Kg of Chicken,Add 1/2 cup of oil.Mix it well then we are gonna put it in the refrigerator overnight.If not,You might be in a hurry then at least for 3-4 hours is must for a very good hyderabadi chicken biryani.
6 Now the Chicken is Marinated and kept in the Fridge Overnight.So a day after at the morning we are gonna cook the rice.Rice needs to soaked in water for atleast 1 hour.
7 Choose the best flavourful Basmati Rice ,When you buy basmati rice before buying just smeel it ,it will give a nice basmati flavour.Don’t use any other rice unless the basmati flavour will be eliminated from the Chicken biryani recipe.
8 Make the water Boil then Add 2-3 tspn oil and salt in the boiling water.
9 Now Taste the water ,it must be seasoned ,so when the rice is cooked it observes the salt inside it.
10 Add Some Shahi Jeera and bay leaves.Now we are going to Add the rice, Since the rice is soaked for almost an hour. These is gonna cook within 5 minutes.
11 we are going to cook these rice till it is 70% done and the rest 30% is gonna cooked along with the chicken.
12 Now the Chicken had been marinated overnight,put it in the biryani handi/pot.
13 Now Add some fried onions and mix in it after that spread the chicken in such a way that each piece is touching the pan. thats how we make a perfect biryani. you know what people do they are gonna put the layer of chicken 4-5 pieces at the top.but here we are making each piece touch the bottom pan.
14 Now You can see in the picture the rice had expanded well.Now the rice is 70% done. when you check the rice you must get a bite in your mouth.
15 Switch off the stove and take out the biryani pot, Spread the rice from the top. the first layer of rice is done.
16 Remaining rice is now 75% done as the rice is in the hot water ,it will not be silent. Now Add the Second layer of rice Spread it and the last layer of the rice is almost 90% done,Spread it equally in all the sides.
17 Add the remaing fried onions Above it at the top spread it in all the sides. these will give a nice brown color to the rice on the top.
18 In the restaurants,they are no more adding saffron color,they are adding yellow food color but am not gonna compromise.Add some saffron color which is soaked in hot milk then spread it in top every where.
19 Add 1 tspn of Desi ghee over the rice (Optional you may skip)
20. In the Restaurants,Even if they are not using expensive basmati rice.they are still getting rice flavour because of rose water and kewra water.Add some rose water and kewra jal (littl bit).
21 Now these is gonna our perfect restaurant style chicken biryani recipe.
22 Now Put the led and put the dough i,e chappati dough in the corners of the led ,so that the flavour doesn’t come out of the pot and we get a perfect Basmati Flavour.these is what gonna seal the biryani.
23 After 5 minutes of high flame,another 10-15 minutes of low flame.Take the biryani pot out,put a tawa on stove and put the biryani pot above the tawa and cook it. these is the safest method to prepare biryani. a total of 35 minutes after that switch off the flame but dont open the led.
24 Open it after 10 more minutes.Now time to open the biryani,take a deep breath and Its time for celebration. Hyderabadi chicken Biryani is now Ready to be served.
complete hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe below
Hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe | How to make chicken biryani
Prep time Cook time Total time
8 hours 40 mins 8 hours 40 mins
Hyderbadi Chicken Biryani ,sometimes known as South Indian Chicken biriyani or Chicken biriani, is a mixed rice dish from the South indian states specially telangana and Hyderabad. It is made with spices, rice and Chicken. Biryani is a classic Indian dish that is often served at weddings and celebrations
Dish name- Chicken biryani, hyderabadi chicken biryani
Course- Main course
Place of origin- india, hyderabad
Main ingredients- Chicken,yogurt,basmati rice,whole spices
Level of cooking- easy
taste- spicy and salty
Ingredients for making restaurant style chicken biryani-
Marination for hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe
- 1/2 cup oil
- ½ kg or 1 lb bone-in-chicken or boneless
- 2 small strands of mace
- 1 large or 2 small black cardamom
- 4 green cardamom
- 3 cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 1 large or 2 small bay leaf
- ½ tsp pepper corn
- ½ tsp shahi jeera / caraway seeds
- Biryani fool/licham
- ¼ to ½ tsp. biryani masala powder
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1/2 Coriander powder
- 4 green chilies slit (adjust according to your requirements)
- 1/2 finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 finely chopped mint leaves
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp. yogurt / curd
- 2 tbsps. Lemon juice (adjust)
- 1 ½ tsp Kashmiri / byadgi red chili powder
- ½ tsp biryani masala powder
- ¼ tsp green cardamom powder
- Salt to taste
For Cooking of Biryani rice
- 1 ½ cups aged basmati rice (soaked for 1 hour, drain and set aside)
- 1/2 tspn shahi jeera/caraway seeds
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tspn oil
- salt to taste
For the layering of rice
- 1/2 cup of fried onions
- 2 tspn of Desi Ghee
- ¼ tsp saffron strands soaked in 3 tbsps. hot milk
- 1/2 tspn of rose water
- 1/2 tspn of kewra water
1. Powdered the Whole Spices mentioned above for the marination of Chicken.
2. Add the Raw Spices in the Chicken.
3. Add the Powder Ingredients mentioned above ,Ginger Garlic paste,Curd and also add Chopped green chillis,mint leaves and coriander leaves.
4. Add lime juice and salt to taste.Mix it well then we are gonna put it in the refrigerator overnight.
5. Make the water Boil then Add 2-3 tspn oil and salt in the boiling water.
6. Add Some Shahi Jeera and bay leaves.
7. we are going to cook these rice till it is 70% done .
8. Now the Chicken had been marinated overnight,put it in the biryani handi/pot.
10.Switch off the stove and take out the biryani pot, Spread the rice from the top. the first layer of rice is done.
11. Add the remaing fried onions Above it.
12. Add some saffron color which is soaked in hot milk then spread it in top every where.
13. Add some rose water and kewra jal (littl bit).
14.Now Put the led and put the dough i,e chappati dough in the corners of the led.
15. After 5 minutes of high flame,another 10-15 minutes of low flame.Take the biryani pot out,put a tawa on stove and put the biryani pot above the tawa and cook it.
21. Open it after 10 more minutes. Biryani is now Ready.
1-If you do not like to use a cloth for trapping the steam or dum, you can use dough to seal the lid of the utensil, but cleaning up the mess is difficult. An aluminium foil too works ok.
2- Buy the Quality Basmati rice having long seeds and smells good.
3-Don’t use liver ,gizzard ,head of chicken and cut the chicken in large sizes i.e1 ½ inch .
Calories: 650 Fat: 25 g Saturated fat: 6 g Carbohydrates: 85 g Sugar: 5 g Sodium: 160 mg Fiber: 2 g Protein: 20 g Cholesterol: 60 mg